Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fur Faced Lightheadedness

Have you ever had cats as co-authors? I know what you are thinking, and it's about collaboration or writing. Nope, it's nothing like that.  

I just want to honorably mention my two (one time) ever present writing companions who are my cats, Biscuit and Spiral.  If I sat at my computer (“Big Bertha” - which was  situated in my living room) for any amount of time, they will most certainly pay me a visit to provide either inspiration or torment. Mostly torment.

How can an innocent, fluffy, furry, beastie be a torment? When I  attempted to concentrate on a particular story, paragraph or phase, Spiral will do what I called the “runway walk”. This is where he would walk between my feet while rubbing his body along my legs. This ends with his tail wrapped around my left or right calf. Spiral would do this repeatedly until he got my attention.

If no attention was given, Spiral would resort to the next area of torment. He'd kiss my toes with that cold nose of his. If I happened to be sitting at Big Bertha barefooted, my first reaction was to nearly jettison off my chair! I loved him dearly, but I'd give him a scolding. "I need to have my upmost concentration whilest I write, don't you understand, Kitten?"   His reaction was to dash away.

Two minutes later, he was back only this time he'd rub his face on my feet and when I ddidn't pay attention, he'd lay his entire heavy body across my feet. That, I actually loved. I'd often play footsie with him until he started to bite my toes.  "Spiral, now you've got to go!" I'd yell and off he dashed again.

Finally I'd have a moment of peace to write, and you know how you feel someone staring at you? I'f look down to my right or left and there Spiral sat with the most pitiable expression on his little furry face! Awww! I can't help but give him a pat or two or scratch. Then its back to the writing.

This time he pulls out the heavy artillery! The next thing I know, I felt CLAWS on my leg! It's like: HELLO! I'M HERE! NOTICE ME! PET AND STROKE ME NOT TYPE ON THE COMPUTER! More yelling and he scurries off to disappear to take a nap. 

However, he would return with his comrade in arms, Biscuit as backup to “double team” me! One distracted me while the other moved in for the kill. Someone was gonna get attention today, and it was not my writing!

With all of this going on, it's a wonder I was able to get anything done. But, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Cuz I loved my kitties!

Dawn Skyy

No comments:

Post a Comment